We were part of a team that took about a 100 University students on a ski retreat recently. We packed out a church, sleeping on floors and pews, and had a grand ol' time. Over the coarse of the weekend, we estimated that our kitchen/food crew slept a total of 9 hours over the course of 3 days as they bought food for 100+ people and cooked and cleaned like Kitchen Champions.
Heidi led that Kitchen team of superstars with Elizabeth and Josiah in tow.
6 short life reflections that being on the kitchen team taught us:
- If you want to serve people, expect to get tired.
- The people you serve will rarely grasp how much effort it took care for them....but they shouldn't need to. It was never about that to begin with.
- Teamwork is quintessential for accomplishing anything notable.
- In many cases, your kids don't have to keep you at home. Make your activity fun for them and it'll turn into their adventure too.
- Serving others will expose your own sin....especially your selfishness.
- Make service your priority and your mission, and you'll find your heart will joyfully follow soon thereafter.